Apprentices are vital to ensure a skilled workforce for the future, so Redrow is recognising the achievements of 10 outstanding trainees.
The developer has awarded the title of ‘Apprentice of the Year’ to the 10 talented individuals from around its operating divisions who most impressed judges with their performance in the last year.
Winners were selected on the basis of their individual training progress reports, performance at college as they work towards their NVQs and feedback from sub-contractors, site managers and apprentice coordinators who work alongside them on site.
Edward Thomson, 21, from Cannock, is a commercial apprentice with Redrow Homes (Midlands) in Tamworth.
“I joined Redrow last September and the apprenticeship is going well so far. I didn’t know about the Apprentice of the Year award and thought I was in trouble when the managing director wanted to speak to me! It was a complete surprise to have won,” he said.
“Taking an apprenticeship was a no brainer for me as it’s a direct pathway to a career and a great alternative to going to university.”
Trade apprentices are placed with an experienced sub-contractor, while they learn the skills required to do their chosen profession.
Working for a FTSE 250 company, Redrow’s trainees work in a face paced, dynamic environment and have plenty of opportunities for career development.
Karen Jones, HR director for Redrow, said: “Every year we recognise the very best young talent in our business and I’d like to congratulate each of this year’s winners.
“It’s important that we reward hard work, enthusiasm and commitment and show our trainees how vital they are to the company’s success. We hope our worthy winners will all continue to prosper in their careers with us and help us to grow as a business in the future.
“We believe apprenticeships are the key to ensuring a skilled workforce for years to come and we are continuing to develop and expand our training opportunities for young people. We now have trade apprentices learning carpentry, plumbing and bricklaying, as well as office-based apprentices in a variety of administration, technical and commercial roles. Around 15% of our employees are trainees and we have been named top 100 apprentice employers in England.”
One of the UK’s leading housebuilders, Redrow constructs around 4,000 premium quality family homes a year in prime locations across England and Wales. The company directly employs around 1,650 people and provides employment for thousands of sub-contractors on its new homes developments.
A full list of Redrow’s apprentice of the year winners are:
• Lancashire: Jason Booth - Bricklaying apprentice working with subcontractor A Bibby Ltd
• Yorkshire: Tim Mills – bricklaying apprentice working with subcontractor Justin Swales
• NW: Alex Betts - Carpentry and joinery apprentice working with subcontractor Fielding Joinery
• Midlands: Edward Thomson - Commercial apprentice
• South Midlands: Dean Elderton Carpentry and joinery apprentice working with subcontractor Capsule Joinery
• Southern Counties: Ben Raymond – Plumbing apprentice working with subcontractor PRS plumbing and heating.
• South West: Sam Mead – bricklaying apprentice working with subcontractor Delecato Brickwork
• South Wales: Daniel "Kai" Rees – bricklaying apprentice working with subcontractor Watts Brickwork Ltd
• West Country: John Leech- Commercial apprentice n
• South East: Michael Adams - bricklaying apprentice working with subcontractor Ashford brickwork
Established more than 40 years, Redrow Homes is one of the UK’s leading house builders, operating across England and Wales, with a strong emphasis on high quality family housing in prime locations. Its Heritage Collection of family homes combines traditional looking, ‘Arts & Crafts’ influenced exteriors with bright, modern, high specification interiors. The company has won numerous awards over the years, including, most recently, the Gold Award for Best Large Housebuilder at the WhatHouse? Awards 2014, the 2014 Building Awards Housebuilder of the Year and five consecutive 5* awards in the Home Builder Federation (HBF) annual customer satisfaction survey. Redrow also collected the award for best marketing initiative at the 2014 Housebuilder Awards and its ‘My Redrow’ online tool won the overall Customer Engagement category at the 2013 Peer Awards for Excellence.